[gradsusr] Opengrads in Windows 7

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:17:08 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM, hersala <hersala at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got the problem solved. Asking a friend of mine, it turns out I
> didn't have a loopback adapter installed, so whenever I wasn't on a
> network, GrADS wouldn't work (no local IP address available, and thus no
> possibility to communicate with the X server). Installing a loopback
> adapter solved the problem. That can be done from the Device Manager in the
> Control Panel. Just choose "Add legacy hardware" from the "Action" menu
> there, click on Next, then choose "Install the hardware that I manually
> select from the list (Advanced)" and click Next, choose "Network adapters",
> then proceed to the next step and wait for the lists to be populated.
> Choose "Microsoft" as the manufacturer, and finally "Microsoft Loopback
> Adapter". Let the newly created adapter initialize and that should do the
> trick.

Thank you very for solving this mystery. I have added your solution to our
Wiki and "Getting Started" file. I have stopped using Windows years ago, no
wonder I never ran into this problem. The ultimate solution would be to
rewrite the graphics engine to skip the X11 layer altogether.
Unfortunately, grads relies heavily on X windows and to preserve all the
functionality will take some effort.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva