[gradsusr] Computing Mean

Teddy Allen teddyallen at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 11:03:08 EST 2012

Dear Maria,
I find that many of these similar questions can be answered through the easy to use IRI Climate Library Ingrid system ( http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/ ). Through the simple point and click method one can easily compute exactly what you are asking for without even writing one line of code.
Select a dataset, apply the "Data Selection", click on "filter" to average in time, and voila...you can now download a .nc file of exactly what you are looking for to display in GrADS. Or, to make life even easier, you can display the file through the new NASA NetCDF display tool: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/panoply/

I am a strong proponent of these easy to use web tools for data analysis. It allows us to spend more time analyzing rather than coding. However, GrADS still remains my coding weapon of choice for all of my computational battles.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.
teddy allen

http://www.teddyallen.com
"To move quickly, go alone. To move far, go together."
African Proverb