[gradsusr] regrid data

Michael Fiorino michael.fiorino at noaa.gov
Sun Feb 12 18:12:42 EST 2012

Rob and Liban,

the key point is that re2 and re are not grads scripts but grads
external functions, i.e., they are external code accessed from within
grads is if they were built into grads itself.  an example of an
'intrinsic' or built-in grads function is 'aave'.

/*only opengrads2.0 supports external functions like my regrid2 (original
user defined function for grads 1.X) that is now called 're2' in the
opengrads2.0*/.

let me know if you have problems Rob, but it should work if you use
opengrads2.0.

also, re2 (using re defaults) does 'appropriate' regriding.  the general
practice is to use area-average regriding (perserves area averages, or
what i call 'box averaging', the 'ba' option in re2/re) when regriding
from fine to coarse grids (e.g., 0.5 deg -> 2.5 deg).  but for coarse ->
fine Nth order interp is better (re2/re this is 3rd order bessel
interpolation) re2/re selects the appropriate method that can be
overridden as needed see:

re:   http://opengrads.org/doc/udxt/re/
re2:  http://ruc.noaa.gov/fiorino/grads/re2.txt

ciao ciao 4 now, Mike

On 2012-02-10 09:36, Yan Libin wrote:
> Rob,
>
> You can download OpenGrADS from this link
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/grads2/2.0.1.oga.1/Linux/
> I guess this bundle has regrid function (re2) after you install it.
> It is not a script under windows platform, so maybe the same under linux platform.
> After installation, you can do like this:
>
> define var1=re2(var,1,1)
> d var1
>
> You can have a try.
> Good luck.
>
> Libin
> Yan Libin
>
> From: Robert Seigel
> Date: 2012-02-11 00:28
> To: zjuyanlibin; GrADS Users Forum
> Subject: Re: [gradsusr] regrid data
> I am using a Linux platform with grads-2.0.a9. Is there a linux script?
>
> Rob
>
> On Feb 10, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Yan Libin wrote:
>
>> If you are working on a windows platform, you can download OpenGrADS which has the regrid
function already.

>> Yan Libin
>>
>> From: Robert Seigel
>> Date: 2012-02-11 00:22
>> To: zjuyanlibin; GrADS Users Forum
>> Subject: Re: [gradsusr] regrid data
>> Thank you for the quick response, Yan.
>>
>> When I type that, I get the following response from grads:
>>
>> Syntax Error: Invalid Operand
>> 're2' not a variable or function name
>> Error ocurred at column 1
>> DEFINE error: Invalid expression.
>>
>> Do you have a copy of the re2() script?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rob
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2012, at 9:17 AM, Yan Libin wrote:
>>
>>> define varnew=re2(varold,1,1)
>>>
>>> Yan Libin
>>>
>>> From: Robert Seigel
>>> Date: 2012-02-11 00:15
>>> To: gradsusr
>>> Subject: [gradsusr] regrid data
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to regrid NAM data to match up with GFS resolution. I have seen numerous
posts regarding regrid2() or re(), however I cannot seem to find any of these scripts. I
have downloaded a bundle and found regrid2(), but could not get it to work. It gave me
errors similar to previous posts ('regrid2' not a variable or function name). Does anyone
have (or know where to find) a script that regrids data to a more coarse resolution?

>>> Thanks,
>>> Rob