[gradsusr] regrid data

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 10 22:16:00 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Sam Wilson <sam at surfline.com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> You might consider the lterp function:
>
> http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradfunclterp.html
>
> I found out about this on the users group and used it to compare 2 models
> with different resolutions.

The lterp() function implements linear interpolation, and for many
applications this is all that you need. However, there are cases that
another typing of regridding may be more apropriate:

1) Going from a higher to a lower resolution, a mass conserving
(box-averaging) type of regriding is often more appropriate, specially if
dealing with tracers. This avoids aliasing.

2) Regridding discrete fields (say, a land-sea-ice mask), where a voting
type of regridding is pretty much the only thing that makes sense.

3) Higher order interpolations such as the 3rd order Bessel interpolation
produces somewhat smoother fields (but can produce undesirable results with
vey noisy data.)

If your application involves any of the 1)-3) situations above then you
probably want to use re(); otherwise lterp() works just fine.

   Arlindo

> On 2/10/12 8:15 AM, "Robert Seigel" <rseigel at atmos.colostate.edu> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to regrid NAM data to match up with GFS resolution. I have
> >seen numerous posts regarding regrid2() or re(), however I cannot seem to
> >find any of these scripts. I have downloaded a bundle and found
> >regrid2(), but could not get it to work. It gave me errors similar to
> >have (or know where to find) a script that regrids data to a more coarse
> >resolution?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Rob

Arlindo da Silva