[gradsusr] How to create a time series in a grid point, using a series of GRIB files with only one time each

Miquel Traveria traveria at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 10:03:18 EST 2012

Many thanks Jeff and Yaqiang,

first i followed the steps suggested by Jeff, I created the .ctl and .idx
and launched GrADS. I opened the file.ctl and displayed the TMP2m variable,
and GrADS issued an error:

Cannot contour grid - all undefined values.

If I then set the variables to one grid point and time, the TMP2m displayed
an odd value:

ga-> d tmpsfc
Result value = -9.99e+08

Is there any problem with my files? I attach the .ctl below

Many thanks in advance!

Miquel

dset ^gfs.t06z.mastergrb2f%f2
options template
index ^gfs.t06z.mastergrb2f03.idx
undef 9.999E+20
title gfs.t06z.mastergrb2f03
* produced by g2ctl v0.0.8.2
* command line options: gfs.t06z.mastergrb2f03
* griddef=1:0:(720 x 361):grid_template=0:winds(N/S): lat-lon grid:(720 x
361) units 1e-06 input WE:NS output WE:SN res 48 lat 90.000000 to
-90.000000 by 0.500000 lon 0.000000 to 359.500000 by 0.500000
#points=259920:winds(N/S)

dtype grib2
ydef 361 linear -90.000000 0.5
xdef 720 linear 0.000000 0.500000
tdef 9 linear 09Z08feb2012 3hr
zdef 1 linear 1 1
vars 6
GUSTsfc   0,1,0   0,2,22 ** surface Wind Speed (Gust) [m/s]
PRATEsfc   0,1,0   0,1,7,0 ** surface Precipitation Rate [kg/m^2/s]
TMPsfc   0,1,0   0,0,0 ** surface Temperature [K]
TMP2m   0,103,2   0,0,0 ** 2 m above ground Temperature [K]
UGRD10m   0,103,10   0,2,2 ** 10 m above ground U-Component of Wind [m/s]
VGRD10m   0,103,10   0,2,3 ** 10 m above ground V-Component of Wind [m/s]
ENDVARS