[gradsusr] sdfwrite

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Apr 10 11:27:10 EDT 2012

Hi, Muyin --

On Apr 6, 2012, at 8:40 PM, Muyin Wang wrote:

> Hi, Jeff:
> Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
> The script works, and I am able to plot the files. However, when I use "sdfwrite" to generate the NetCDF file for the variable, only the the first time step's data is written, even though I did "set t 1 last" or "set t 1 120"

Be sure you set the T dimension to the desired range before you invoke define.

> I do  not get error message, but do get the following warning when I run "grib2ctl.pl" script:
> "Use of uninitialized value $winds in string eq at grib2ctl.pl line 437."
> After this, when I did "girbmap -i asp_test.ctl I got the following messages:
> gribmap:  Scanning binary GRIB file(s):
> gribmap:  Opening GRIB file aps_21600.grb
> gribmap:  Reached EOF
> gribmap:  Writing the map...
>
> They look fine to me, and I was able to open the grib file in GrADS.  But why only the first time step of data is written?
Check the dimensions ('query dims') before you call define. Then when you write out the defined variable with sdfwrite, all varying dimensions should be there. Check the docs for 'set sdfwrite' too, you may be missing an option. If not, please send your script.
--Jennifer

> Thank you so much for your help!
> Muyin
>

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Jeff Lake <admin at michiganwxsystem.com> wrote:
> http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/grib2ctl.html
> -Jeff Lake
> MichiganWxSystem.com
> WeatherMichigan.net
> TheWeatherCenter.net
> GRLevelXStuff.com
>
> On 4/6/2012 1:01 PM, Muyin Wang wrote:
>> Hi, Wesley:
>> I an new to Grads, and now I have to deal with grb files without any .ctl file provided. I found out that you have grib2ctl.sh script, but the link to it ( http://wesley.wwb.noaa.gov/grib2ctl.html ) is broken. Would you please let me know where I can find this script, and how to use it?
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> Muyin Wang

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA