[gradsusr] Loading GFS data (DODS) over nomad's ".ascii" option - how to read in grads?

Stauffer Reto (UNI) reto.stauffer at student.uibk.ac.at
Tue Sep 27 06:05:37 EDT 2011

Dear usergroup

We would like to visualize some GFS products. Actually i get the data
from the nomad servers "on demand" with

'sdfopen http://nomad3.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/gfs20110927/gfs_master_00z'

THE PROBLEM is that i have so much calls to the server that he kills the
connection (after ~100 as written on the nomad3 servers page). Now there
is also an option to load all the data with wget. For example the call is

http://nomad3.ncep.noaa.gov:9090/dods/gfs20110926/gfs_master_00z.ascii?rh2m[14:28][46:46][22:22]

It's the same "file/adress" but with the .ascii? option (selecting one
variable "rh2m" here for certain timesteps [14:28] and for only one
gridpoint (lon/lat 46/22). This works fine and i can create the
ascii-file without any problem

BUT HOW TO READ those files with grads? Can i convert those files? Or
open directly? Or create a controlfile?

I read all possible hints and pages in the internet but i havnt found
any solution until now.
Does anyone have some experiences with that approach?

Or is there another option not to run into the "server request restriction"?

Best wishes
Reto Stauffer
University of Innsbruck

Reto Stauffer
Department of Meteorology and Geophysics
University of Innsbruck
Innrain 52, A- 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Tel: +43-(0)-512-507-5486
Fax: +43-(0)-512-507-2924