[gradsusr] SREF: "Product Definition Template 9 not handled" error message with g2ctl.pl

Kevin M Levey klevey at customweather.com
Mon Sep 26 17:06:02 EDT 2011

MON 26SEP11: 1400PDT

Hi

I'm busy processing SREF GRIB2 model data, specifically: AWIPS grid Regional - CONUS - Double Resolution (Lambert Conformal - 40km) Prob Products (NCEP ....ensprod/sref.tccz.pgrb212.prob.grib2).

I've had no problems using processing the SPREAD and MEAN files using gtcl.pl (ver:0.0.8.2) and wgrib2 (ver: v0.1.9.2c 3/2011 ), however, am running into issues when processing the probability files.

Firstly, g2ctl.pl throws this:

Warning: g2lib/g2clib jpeg deocde may differ from WMO standard, use use -g2clib 0 for WMO standard

and then running gribmap I get this:

Product Definition Template 9 not handled

As I understand it, wgrib2 doesn't know what to do as the table for SREF is not defined. The CTL file incorrectly shows only a few variables and none of the probability variables as listed on the NCEP site:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/sref/sref.t03z.pgrb212.prob.grib2.shtml

I'm somewhat stumped here as to how to correctly process these type files and display the desired variables in GRADS.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kevin M Levey, MSc in Oceans and Atmospheric Sciences (University of Cape Town)
Vice President of Operations
CustomWeather, Inc.
San Francisco, California, USA

"Taking the World by Storm!"