[gradsusr] GXyat question re. colours

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 22 19:37:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> The anti-aliasing in the Cairo library does make the colors seem a little
> duller than when drawing without anti-aliasing. There is no real cure for
> this, although if you increase the thickness of the anti-aliased lines, they
> do brighten. For lines that we know will be exactly horizontal or vertical,
> we plan to 'snap' them to the pixel grid and then they won't be drawn with
> the anti-alias blending on the edges. This will make the plot frame and
> other rectangles look sharp and bright. Turning off anti-aliasing for
> polygon fills results in very faint gaps that are visible between adjacent
> polygons of the same color (e.g. in a shaded plot), so I don't recommend
> that.

I've been doing this for some time in gxyat and I never saw this artifact.
 Here is a typical plot with plenty of same color polygons:

http://portal.nccs.nasa.gov/cgi-hs3/hs3_wx.cgi?region=hs3&dtg=2011092212&prod=1ht&model=fp&level=300&tau=000&&region_old=hs3&dtg_old=2011092212&prod_old=1ht&model_old=fp&level_old=200&tau_old=000&&loop=0

Do you have an example where this problem is apparent?

   Thanks,

       Arlindo

Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu