[gradsusr] GXyat question re. colours

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Sep 22 13:56:23 EDT 2011

The anti-aliasing in the Cairo library does make the colors seem a
little duller than when drawing without anti-aliasing. There is no
real cure for this, although if you increase the thickness of the anti-
aliased lines, they do brighten. For lines that we know will be
exactly horizontal or vertical, we plan to 'snap' them to the pixel
grid and then they won't be drawn with the anti-alias blending on the
edges. This will make the plot frame and other rectangles look sharp
and bright. Turning off anti-aliasing for polygon fills results in
very faint gaps that are visible between adjacent polygons of the same
color (e.g. in a shaded plot), so I don't recommend that. A possible
solution is to draw the perimeter of each polygon to cover the gaps,
but this is a performance hit. We are still thinking about the user
interface to control all these factors. For using gxyat right now, I
would try tweaking the line thickness and the size of your output
image, those things may improve the appearance/dimness of the anti-
aliased lines.
--Jennifer

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA