[gradsusr] Problem accessing NCEP (NOMADS) GrADS-DODS server (from a web server)

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 16 09:39:54 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Joe Moore <joe at wxjoe.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> The identical script was running fine on my local machine. However, I
> discovered that port 9090 is blocked at my web host. (Bluehost - it's a
> cheap host... when I initially signed up for the hosting I didn't even think
> I'd be running GrADS on it!) Turns out I can unblock a port IF I lease a
> dedicated IP address (they only charge $2.50/month, so I'm OK with that for
> now.)
>
> I know this probably doesn't apply to most government, academic and
> business users of GrADS, but it's worth a shot: Are there any other users
> running GrADS on an affordable web host? My budget is little (since this is
> purely a personal project) but I'd be interested to see if anyone recommends
> any other hosting companies.

This is a question for the GDS providers, whether they would be willing to
serve data on port 80. We do this for some of our servers, and it does make
the data more accessible as it avoids problems like yours. As IT security
tightens around the world you see more and more installations where ports
such as 9090 and 8080 are closed. So, this does not affect only entry level
web hosts.

   Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva