[gradsusr] vertical colorbar on 8 panel plot

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Wed Sep 14 16:31:13 EDT 2011

What I do when I make such plots is to set the plot area to some very small
box near the corner of the virtual page, set the display variables that I
used to make the panels (I assume you used the same clevs and ccols for
each), display any variable (doesn't have to be the same one you displayed
in the panels), then draw a filled rectangle with the same color as that of
the background to cover up the few markings that will appear (if you set
parea right, this won't cover up any of the panels), then run the cbar
script normally (might want to adjust the arguments for where the center of
the bar is placed) and it should come up how you want).  I've attached an
example image and the relevant code.

*Resetting the page to draw the colorbar.  Need to do some tricks to get it
to work the way I want it to, though.
'set parea off'
'set parea 10.99 11 8.49 8.5'
'set clevs 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100'
'set ccols 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31'
'set grads off'
'set gxout shaded'
'd u.1'
'run ......cbar.gs'