[gradsusr] Back Trajectories

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Sat Sep 3 14:10:42 EDT 2011

Gamal,
You can refer to other files using a dot and the file name.  For example, if
you open several consecutive WRF files such as

WRF_20110901_1200.ctl
WRF_20110901_1800.ctl
WRF_20110902_2000.ctl

(assuming each file contains 6 hours of WRF output), then the variables
associated with the second file will have a ".2" appended to them; likewise
the variables associated with the nth file will have a ".n" appended to
them.)

In your script you just need to add the ".n" (or the corresponding number)
to keep track of which variables to use when computing the trajectories
according to the particular file the time is in.  It may end up being fairly
complex, but I think you can do it.  Good luck.

Jeff Duda

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Dr.Gamal El Afandi
<gamalafandy at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I was able to use Grads to calculate and plot back-trajectories but there
> are some limitations related to that script (I can open just one file for
> each calculation) I need to think about. The main issue is that each WRFfile contains only part of the daily values simulated for Indiana we need to
> get 24 hours back trajectories because the WRF output is in UTC. Therefore
> in order to calculate 24 hours back trajectories I would need to open
> simultaneously multiple files and in some way change the code (if it is
> possible to manage this issue) in order to get all the values and make Grads
> computing the trajectories. My main concern is that once I open 2 files I
> will have exactly the same variable names so I don't know if it is possible
> within that code to refer to a specific value/variable and compute our
> trajectories correctly.
> please let me know if you have any suggestions, so that maybe I can try.
>
> With my kind regards
> Gamal
> *Dr.Gamal Salah El Afandi,Senior Researcher.
> Data to Insight Center of Pervasive Technology Institute*
> *Indiana University Bloomington USA*
> *2719 E 10th St.
> Innovation Center *
> *Room 130C. *
> *Bloomington, IN  47408,USA*
> *Phone:+1 812-856-2146*
> *Fax: +1 812-856-1735*
> **
> *http://as.cms.rtinfo.indiana.edu/d2i/people*
> *http://pervasivetechnologylabs.iu.edu/d2i/people*
> * *
> *Al Azhar University *
> *Faculty of science at Cairo *
> *Department of Astronomy and Meteorology*
> *Nasr City,Postal Code 11884*
> *Cairo,**Egypt*
> http://maindb.unfccc.int/public/roe/expert_list.pl?id_country=66&
> *http://www.itap.purdue.edu/pto/NATO_KEEO/partCoDir_en.html*<http://www.itap.purdue.edu/pto/NATO_KEEO/index_en.html>
> http://www.ucar.edu/governance/iap/iapreps.shtml
> *Tel. 0020238701259 Home   Tel. 0020222618163 Work
> Tel. 0020103770593 Cell      Fax 0020222629356 Work *

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University
Meteorology Graduate Student
www.meteor.iastate.edu/~jdduda <http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/%7Ejdduda>