[gradsusr] GrADS v. Opengrads

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 30 20:52:34 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Andrew Friedman <andfried at berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Dear Jennifer, Arlindo, and other GrADS and Opengrads developers and
> volunteers,

> Second, there are many GrADS scripts that have been shared on the
> listserve, or are on individual users' websites - many more than in the
> GraDS script library in the documentation. Would it be possible for users
> to submit links somewhere on the GrADS website, or possibly even upload
> scripts? Also, how can users' scripts get incorporated into future GrADS
> and Opengrads versions?

I am not sure if you are aware, but COLA maintains a collection of user
contributed scripts on their ftp site:

                          script
library<http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/library.html>

Most of these are shipped with the opengrads bundle under Resources/Scripts
(I haven't kept up with recent additions --- I'll fix this in the next
release.) This webpage is also included under Resources/Documentation; we
should perhaps call more attention to these. However, I have to say, most
of these scripts lack proper documentation. It would be very nice if people
out there could contribute recipes in the cookbooks for each one of these
scripts.  When we created the cookbooks our hope was that regular users
would use that space for sharing their knowledge and experience. A few did,
but not too many. Contributing documentation is just as important as
contributing source code (coders are welcome too!) The more we act like
 community helping each other, the more grads advances. We need to bring
more people on-board.

To answer your question: we don't have a formal mechanism for contributing
scripts to the library, just send them as an attachment to an e-mail and
request inclusion in the "script library". Creating a recipe before
submitting a script would be ideal, but not required. However, we need to
have some minimal quality control so that we don't wast people's time with
software that does not work properly.

  Thank you for your interest in GrADS and OpenGrADS.

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu