[gradsusr] * * * New Release GrADS Version 2.0.0 * * *

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Oct 20 12:56:27 EDT 2011

Visually, the old and new shaded contouring algorithms are identical -- it is under the hood that they are completely different. The new one was developed to meet the specs of a polygon shape file -- no overlapping, no holes, etc. The new algorithm is faster to draw on our systems, but I guess it is hardware dependent. And the 'transparent' feature is merely that the shaded contours are not drawn if the color is set to -1, which is easy to implement since the new polygons don't overlap.
--Jennifer

jma at cola.iges.org