[gradsusr] .he5 format descriptor file

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:03:44 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Hi, Jonathan --
> GrADS should be able to read your .he5 file if it contains gridded data.
> The file naming convention is unconventional, and it is not immediately
> apparent to me what the two date strings mean. Your best bet may be to use
> chsub to map complete filenames to the time steps they contain, something
> like :
>
> dset /Users/jonathanwsmith/DATA/OMI_DOMINO_NO2/FIRST_LEG/%ch
> chsub 1 XX OMI-Aura_L2-
> OMDOMINO_2006m0522t0926-o09846_v003-2010m1007t075325.he5

These are Level 2 files, therefore swath data. The strings identify the
orbit and processing time, not really grads templatable. What I do in my own
research is to grid these Level 2 files to a global lat/lon grid, with lots
of UNDEFs where the swath isn't (thanks to compression, file size is not an
issue); I do this in python. Here is an example for OMI aerosols:

    http://opendap.nccs.nasa.gov:9090/dods/AeroObs/0.25_deg/omaeruv

The ability of handling swath data is something that GrADS developers have
talked about in many occasions, but it is yet to be implemented.

          Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva at alum.mit.edu