[gradsusr] Sfc level in ctl file

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Sun Nov 13 12:48:14 EST 2011

In the documentation, http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#VARS , it says:
"If levs is 0, the variable does not correspond to any vertical level. Surface variables (e.g. sea level pressure) have a levs value of 0."
If you put a "1" in the levs column, it means the variable has a Z dimension size of 1 and the value corresponds to the first value in the ZDEF statement.

--Jennifer

On Nov 13, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Rowell, Mason D. wrote:

> All,
>
> I was wondering if there were any users of the NARR data in grads that could explain something to me. Several of the variables in the ctl file are only at level 0, like this 'CINsfc          0 156,1,0 '
>
> I recognize that those with 29 in the first column are defined on all 29 reanalysis levels, but level 0 means what? I just want to make sure that if I can set the level of the data to the sfc that it is a terrain following surface and not 1000 mb adjusted. Though it seems that 1000 is level 1, and thus level 0 is something special, like the actual surface that is not along any constant pressure sfc.
>
> Mason

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302