[gradsusr] Reading NetCDF files from AVHRR data

Lance Steele lance.steele at wni.com
Wed May 25 15:38:34 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I would like to open NetCDF files converted from AVHRR data in GrADS.
However, I am running into an error.

I am using the sat2netcdf utility from Weather Climate Toolkit (3.4.8)
to convert AVHRR files from the CLASS website (in .GC format) to NetCDF.
However, when I try to open the .nc file in GrADS (v 2.0.a9 running on
Mac OSX), I see the following error:

sdfopen ga-> sdfopen AVHRR.GC.nc

Scanning self-describing file:  AVHRR.GC.nc

gadsdf: SDF file has no discernable X coordinate.

One reason I think this is the problem is the lack of range.  For
example, when I do an ncdump on the AVHRR file, I see the following:

float lon(pixels, scans) ;

lon:long_name = "Longitude" ;

lon:units = "degrees_east" ;

lon:_CoordinateAxisType = "Lon" ;

When I do an ncdump on a file that does open in GrADS, I see the
following:

float lon(lon) ;

      lon:units = "degrees_east" ;

      lon:long_name = "longitude" ;

      lon:min_value = 120.f ;

      lon:max_value = 139.7997f ;

Does GrADS require a range (min_value, max_value) to allow sdfopen to
work?  If so, how can I change the headers for lat and lon to include a
range?

Thank you,

Lance Steele