[gradsusr] Request

Zablone Owiti zablonowiti at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 01:13:42 EDT 2011

Hi Mani,

In grads you can open the two files and plot the wind vectors as follows:

>sdfopen uwnd.nc  # use open if your accessing the data via a descriptor file

>sdfopen vwnd.nc
you can then set the approptiate time and the display......
< d u.1;v.2     # where .1 and .2 indicate the file numbes (Grads numbers the files in the order in which they are opened)

Alternatively, I you have to combine the two data files the you can use the Bin Guan's Script (save.gs) attached.
Put the file in you scripts directory and then after opening the two files execute the following command:

In your case it would be

save -v  uwnd.1 vwnd.2 -n u  v  -o wind

# uwnd and vwnd are the names of wind components in the file (change accordingly)
# u and v and the names of the variables in the output file
# wind is the name of the output data file and also the descriptor file (wind.ctl)
# the files will be created in you default Grads directory, using -p you can direct them to a directory of your choice.

You can get more help on how to use the script by command save without any option

ZABLONE OWITI