[gradsusr] how to deal with gribscan and wgrib/wgrib2?

Andrew Revering andy at f5data.com
Wed Mar 9 13:34:32 EST 2011

The method I use to create the CTL and IDX files from Grib2 data is:

The setup:

-          Install Strawberry Perl from www.strawberryperl.com so you can run perl scripts under windows.

-          Get g2ctl.pl ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/g2ctl/g2ctl

-          Copy the .DLLs and wgrib.exe from this directory:

ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/Windows_XP

-          Use gribmap, which is packaged with OpenGrads.

-          Make sure after you put all those files in one directory that you do a search on your computer for cygwin1.dll and make sure there is only 1 copy on your machine. Delete any on your machine that are NOT the one you just downloaded. Having more than one copy on the machine will screw things up.

-          Then put the directory you just created and put all these files into into your windows PATH (right click My Computer, go to Properties, go to Advanced, Environment Variables and in the 2nd big box look for PATH)

Then you run the following commands from the command line, or put them in a .bat file to execute.

perl  g2ctl.pl  gribfile.grib2 > gribfile.ctl

gribmap -i gribfile.ctl

gribfile is whatever the filename is… and you probably want to use absolute paths to the files in all cases… so an example might be:

perl  c:\users\me\desktop\grib\g2ctl.pl  c:\users\me\desktop\grib\gribfile.grib2 > c:\users\me\desktop\grib\gribfile.ctl

gribmap -i c:\users\me\desktop\grib\gribfile.ctl

Andrew Revering

Convective Development, Inc.

http://www.convectivedevelopment.com/