[gradsusr] grib2 gfs files and g2gdf.pl

Ted Pollock edwardp at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 8 17:07:03 EST 2011

Hello,

I've been trying to open the 1 degree grib2 gfs files using grads
v1.9.0-rc1 on an i686 fedora machine. The files have the form
gfs.t??z.pgrbf??.grib2.

g2gdf.pl is not generating the appropriate .inv files for forecast
hours greater than 0.

After playing with the files, I discovered that the dates in the .inv
file correspond to the initial time of the model run, not the forecast
time. By changing the dates in the .inv file to the forecast time, I
can display the variables using the .inv/.gdf files generated. Without
this change, all variables return undefined values.

I am not that good with perl or grib2 files yet, so it would be great
if someone could suggest some possible modifications to the g2gdf.pl
script.

Thank you,

Ted