[gradsusr] diurnal average

Alan Robock robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
Tue Mar 8 08:37:24 EST 2011

Dear Mubashar,

ERA Int is not data, but a model product.  Reanalysis is notoriously bad
at reproducing surface observations, as the surface values are the
result of a model calculation and do not assimilate surface observations
directly.  Furthermore, data every 6 hours cannot resolve the diurnal
cycle.  If you insist on using ERA Int, get the hourly values from them.

Alan

Alan Robock, Professor II (Distinguished Professor)
   Editor, Reviews of Geophysics
   Director, Meteorology Undergraduate Program
   Associate Director, Center for Environmental Prediction
Department of Environmental Sciences        Phone: +1-732-932-9800 x6222
Rutgers University                                  Fax: +1-732-932-8644
14 College Farm Road                   E-mail: robock at envsci.rutgers.edu
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551  USA      http://envsci.rutgers.edu/~robock