[gradsusr] gribmap not working with grib2 ice

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 22 11:44:27 EDT 2011

Hi, Antonio --

On Jun 22, 2011, at 11:12 AM, antonio dias wrote:

> Hi people.
>
> I'm woking with grib2 file ICE/TURB/CB
>
> I'm trying to generate idx file e getting the below error.
>
> exemplos_grib2/gelo$ g2ctl 20110621_0000f12.grib2 > n2.ctl
> exemplos_grib2/gelo$ gribmap -i n2.ctl
>
> grib2map: scanning GRIB2 file: 20110621_0000f12.grib2
> getpdstemplate: PDS Template 4.15 not defined.
This is a message from the grib2 library, not GrADS. Support for this
PDT was added with version 1.2.0 of the library. The release of 2.0.a9
was linked with version 1.1.8.

> grib2map error: g2_getfld failed: ierr=11
This is GrADS telling you that the library couldn't get the field.

PDS Template 4.15 is not in the WMO docs, but it is in the NCEP grib2
docs:  "Average, accumulation, extreme values or other statistically-
processed values over a spatial area at a horizontal level or in a
horizontal layer at a point in time"

Even with the newer library, I don't see how GrADS can support that
PDT -- it sounds like a number not a grid. Maybe wgrib2 can digest
your file and return data values, if it is linked with the newer
version of the library.

--Jennifer

> The .ctl file is ok, but the .idx is not generated.
>
> I'm using grads 2.0.9 on ubuntu 10.04.
>
> What should I do to solve this?
>
> Thank you.

Jennifer M. Adams