[gradsusr] GUI for GrADS

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:45:25 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Salvador Salazar <sal.salazar1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I know GrADS has the ability to support 'widgets', and I wanted to
> know if anyone has made or knows where to get access to a GUI for
> GrADS.

Basically, there are 2 ways to have a GUI with GrADS. There is a built in
set of widgets that creates a GUI in your graphics window. Take a look at
the User's Guide:

    http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/script.html#widgets

Another approach is something that I wrote a long time ago using the Athena
widgets that is documented here:

    http://opengrads.org/doc/gagui/index.php

The COLA builds usually do not have this feature turned on, although you
could have it turned if you build from sources. All opengrads builds include
the Athena widgets and it is relatively easy to create a GUI. If you have an
opengrads release, simply type:

% nomads

or

% merra

and you will have sample GUIs for use with GrADS. On windows, these icons
are installed on your desktop by default. You can find some information
about the MERRA reanalysis GUI here:

http://cookbooks.opengrads.org/index.php?title=Recipe-016:_Accessing_MERRA_data_with_a_Graphical_User_Interface

The nomads GUI provide  access to GFS, NAM and Wave forecasts through
opendap. Give it a try.

BTW, is anybody out there using these GUIs? I never got feedback of any
kind, so I don't if this is something we should continue maintaining.

   Good Luck,

       Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva