[gradsusr] SDF Error: 365 day calendars are no longer supported by sdfopen.

Tummuri, Spandana tummuris at cdm.com
Tue Jun 14 10:47:59 EDT 2011

That worked.  Thanks for all the help.

Spandana

From: gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org [mailto:gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Adams
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:33 AM
To: GrADS Users Forum
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] SDF Error: 365 day calendars are no longer supported by sdfopen.

Your TDEF entry is missing the size ("Missing or invalid dimension size").
It should be "tdef time 1680 linear 01jan1861 1mo".
--Jennifer

On Jun 14, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Tummuri, Spandana wrote:

Thank you for the response.  I have tried following the description provided for previous queries.  I created a descriptor file and am using "xdfopen" to access the descriptor file.  But looks like there is something wrong with my "TDEF" in the descriptor file because I get an error when I use "xdfopen".  Can anyone help me specify the correct "TDEF"?

1.       I am running Grads v 2.0.a9 and am running it on linux
2.       My descriptor file looks as shown below.
DSET ^test.nc
DTYPE netcdf
Title GFDL data
UNDEF -9.99e8_FillValue
OPTIONS 365_day_calendar
TDEF time LINEAR 0Z01JAN1861 1mo
3.       The error I get when I use xdfopen is as follows.
ga-> xdfopen test.dat
Scanning Descriptor File:  test.dat
gadxdf error: Missing or invalid dimension size.
  -> The invalid description file record is:
                 --> tdef time linear 0z01jan1861 1mo
                The data file was not opened.
4.       Below is the output from ncdump -c for my netcdf file

dimensions:
        lon = 144 ;
        lat = 90 ;
        time = UNLIMITED ; // (1680 currently)
        bnds = 2 ;
variables:
        double lon(lon) ;
                lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
                lon:long_name = "longitude" ;
                lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
                lon:axis = "X" ;
                lon:bounds = "lon_bnds" ;
        double lon_bnds(lon, bnds) ;
        double lat(lat) ;
                lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:long_name = "latitude" ;
                lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
                lat:axis = "Y" ;
                lat:bounds = "lat_bnds" ;
        double lat_bnds(lat, bnds) ;
        double time(time) ;
                time:standard_name = "time" ;
                time:long_name = "time" ;
                time:units = "days since 1861-01-01 00:00:00" ;
                time:axis = "T" ;
                time:calendar = "noleap" ;
                time:bounds = "time_bnds" ;
        double time_bnds(time, bnds) ;
        float pr(time, lat, lon) ;
                pr:standard_name = "precipitation_flux" ;
                pr:long_name = "Precipitation" ;
                pr:units = "kg m-2 s-1" ;
                pr:cell_methods = "time: mean" ;
                pr:original_name = "precip" ;
                pr:comment = "includes all types (rain, snow, large-scale, convective, etc.)" ;

Thanks
Spandana