[gradsusr] semi-advanced ave tool use

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 19 18:40:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Rowell, Mason D.
<Mason.D.Rowell-1 at ou.edu>wrote:

> Hello Grads community,
>
> I can see from the tutorial that one can open several different case files
> in grads(file1, file2 etc) and average the data from these files for
> subsequent display. Is there an advanced option that would allow me to
> specify the domain for each case and then average them? I was hoping to use
> this function to easily complete an average of 25 cases or so but relative
> to some specific type of event, which requires different domain centering
> for each case prior to averaging.

The ave() functions allows you to make averages over a (x,y,z,t,e)
hypercube. Because undef values are skipped, you can have averages over very
irregular domains, provided an appropriate mask can be derived either
through an expression or by reading it from a file.  For example, to make a
time average along satellite swaths we could do

define xmean = ave(x+0*sat.2,t=1,t=124)

where "sat" (on file "2") is some gridded (time dependent) satellite
measurement with lots of undefs.

    Arlindo

> Mason

Arlindo da Silva