[gradsusr] 'GrADS on the Web' - InstantWeatherMaps.com

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jul 10 01:40:24 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Joey Woodson
<instantweathermaps at gmail.com>wrote:

> Introducing InstantWeatherMaps.com, a new weather model website. The site
> has a lag (from when the raw data appears on the NOMADS server) of 10-30
> seconds, compared to around 90 seconds for the closest other free site (the
> new beta NCEP site). I offer over 150 variables, including Kuchera-method
> snowfall (otherwise only found on Earl Barker's site, which has a lag of
> around 30-90 minutes). Nearly a half-million GFS model maps are on my server
> at any given time. I would appreciate any suggestions as to future
> enhancements I could make to my site.

Consider using anti-aliasing fonts and lines, e.g.,

     http://portal.nccs.nasa.gov/cgi-yotc/fp_wx.cgi

This is obtained by replacing printim with gxyat. Make sure to read the
documentation for a trick to reduce the size of the image files (pipe to
pngquant) , something that would be important for you with 1/2 million
plots. Notice that you will need the opengrads bundle for this,

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_the_OpenGrADS_Bundle

Type

ga-> gxyat

for a manual page.