[gradsusr] traj.gs modified for 3d

Ted Pollock edwardp at ualberta.ca
Fri Jan 14 13:41:38 EST 2011

Hi Jean,

The script is somewhat of a work in progress but I'll attach what I've
got so far.

Here's the good news.

It now interpolates u, v, and w in all 3 dimensions (centered
difference in time) to do the trajectory calculation.

Here are some caveats.

If you are familiar with the original traj.gs script then you know it
occasionally fails to calculate a proper centered difference due to
lack of convergence. I still need to add some lines to average the
last 3 or 4 iterations to obtain a better estimate.

Also, the script does all of its calculations in z coordinates.
Ideally it would perform the calculation in sigma coordinates without
first converting to z. This would improve run speed.

The script could be a lot smoother in terms of taking in all of the
relevant dimension info from the ctl file. Right now, I need to set
all of the sigma levels inside the script.

The script is still in development so you will probably need to modify
it quite a bit. Feel free to email me if you have questions. If you
can improve on it and send me the changes that would be great too.

Hope you find it useful,

Ted