[gradsusr] Temperature output in WRF model

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Thu Dec 8 13:40:09 EST 2011

Dear Roopa,

The correct procedure is:

theta = T + 300
ptot = PB + P (total pressure = base pressure PB + perturbation pressure P)
temp = theta*(ptot/1000)^(2/7)

You need to use 1000 mb instead of surface pressure.

Also realize that you'll be looking at temperature on a hybrid vertical coordinate surface, not pressure or height levels.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org