[gradsusr] zinterp.gs

Andrew Revering andy at f5data.com
Tue Apr 26 08:42:21 EDT 2011

I'm confused about zinterp and pinterp. What I want to do is return a height
given variable pressure levels.

So I have LCL pressures for all the grid points, but I want to translate
that into a height AGL. My understanding is that you need to have one static
layer (IE all 850mb) to return heights from a pressure level given zinterp.

Is that correct.is there another way to do it?

I came up with this function but I'm getting errors. I'm sure I don't have
to reinvent the wheel:

function getheight(Pressure)

*FIND THE NEAREST PRESSURE LEVEL ABOVE

'define apres = Pressure'

while (math_fmod(apres,25) != 0)

  'apres = apres - 1'

endwhile

*FIND THE NEAREST PRESSURE LEVEL BELOW

'bpres = apres + 25'

'Set LEV bpres'

"define l2="HGTprs

'Set LEV apres'

"define l1="HGTprs

'Percent = (Pressure - apres) / 25'

'Distance = l1 - l2'

if (Distance < 0) ; 'Distance = 0' ; endif

"define height ="nint(l1 - (Distance * Percent))

return (height)