[gradsusr] problem in opening multiple netcdf files as one file

vijay pawar vijay.pawar87 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 07:22:13 EDT 2011

I have prepared a ctl file

dset E:\2Months\sst\1991\apr\avhrr-only-v2.19910401.nc
title Daily-OI-V2, final, Data (Ship, Buoy, AVHRR, GSFC-ice)
undef -9.96921e+36
xdef 1440 linear 0.125 0.25
ydef 720 linear -89.875 0.25
zdef 1 linear 0 1
tdef 1 linear 00Z01APR1991 1mn
vars 4
sst 1 -999 Daily sea surface temperature
anom 1 -999 Daily sea surface temperature anomalies
err 1 -999 Estimated error standard deviation of analysed_sst
ice 1 -999 Sea ice concentration
end vars

when i open it with xdfopen comman i get the following error

Scanning Descriptor File:  E:\2Months\sst\1991\apr\01apr.ctl.txt
XDFopen Error:  Missing or invalid dimension size.
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> xdef 1440 linear 0.125 0.25
  The data file was not opened.

*AND when i add the line dtype netcdf i get an error
Scanning Descriptor File:  E:\2Months\sst\1991\apr\01apr.ctl.txt
XDFOpen Error:  Unknown keyword in description file
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> dtype netcdf
  The data file was not opened.

*And when I use open comman i get d following error
Scanning description file:  E:\2Months\sst\1991\apr\01apr.ctl.txt
Open Error:  Invalid variable record
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> sst 1 -999 Daily sea surface temperature

do we have to create the control file for every nc file or if we create just
one ctl file by using wild cards eg dset %d2%mc%y2 ......and save it in the
directory will it work?If yes which command should be used to open it.please
help

Thank you
Vijay