[gradsusr] templating netcdf files over spatial regions

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Sep 22 10:39:08 EDT 2010

Tom,
File templating or aggregation over spatial dimensions is not
supported in GrADS. Also, there is no netcdf interface for station
data. What you have done, to describe each station file as a grid with
an X/Y dimension size of 1, is the best way to load this data into
GrADS. The only way to do what you want is to write a stand-alone
program that opens your netcdf files and rewrites the data into the
binary station data format that GrADS can read.
--Jennifer

On Sep 20, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Thomas W. Collow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know it is possible to aggregate different files over time but I
> was wondering if the same could be done for different spatial
> locations?
>
> Here's the situation,
> I have one netcdf file for each station.  So file1.cdf is for sation
> 1, file2.cdf is for station 2, file3.cdf is for station 3 and so
> on.  I have created a control file for each netcdf file so GrADS can
> read it properly.  Each file has one variable that I want to plot.
> What I want to do is take this variable from each file and plot in
> on to a single map essentially making a station data plot.  Is this
> possible? Then I could regrid this data which I already know how to
> do.  Thanks.
>
> Tom

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA