[gradsusr] Gridding and Plotting Station Data

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Sep 22 10:24:23 EDT 2010

Yaquiang: Please don't use the GrADS forum to promote MeteoInfo.

Nena: I haven't looked at the specific recipe you refer to; however,
in order to draw a contour plot in GrADS that is based on station
data, you use the oacres() function, which transforms the station data
to a gridded field so that the contouring algorithm will work. The
oacres() function requires a grid expression -- the data in the grid
is ignored, it is just the grid information that is used to perform
the transformation. My guess is that the wrf forecast data referred to
in the recipe is merely there to provide a grid to interpolate to. You
don't need WRF data to do this, you can create a dummy descriptor file
that points to a fictitious data file but that should be sufficient
for oacres() to work.

The dummy descriptor (foo.ctl) would look something like this:
dset ^foo.dat
options template
undef -9.99e8
title foo
xdef  ...
ydef ...
zdef 1 linear 1 1
tdef 1 linear 1jan0001 1dy
vars 1
foo 0 99 foo
endvars

You would have to define the XDEF and YDEF entries to create a lat/lon
grid that covers the area of your station observations, and has a
resolution reasonably close to the density of your observational data.
I would set the TDEF to match your station data set too. The 'options
template' entry is necessary so that GrADS doesn't try to open
foo.dat. You can open this dummy descriptor with GrADS, then use 'lon'
or 'lat' (internally defined variables that contain the longitude/
latitude values of the grid) as your grid expression in oacres. Your
GrADS commands might look something like this:

ga-> open foo.ctl
ga-> open station.ctl
ga-> set gxout contour
ga-> d oacres(lon.1, var.2)

I hope this is the kind of help you were looking for.
--Jennifer

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302