[gradsusr] Creating "Lines" Shapefiles

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 26 13:05:40 EDT 2010

Hi, Stephen --
Brian and I are glad to hear you are successfully using the new
shapefile interface. Unfortunately, what you are asking for is not in
our development plans. The graphical elements created with the 'draw'
command are not based on gridded or station data in a lon/lat spatial
domain, but on the page coordinates in an X,Y domain. There is no
existing mechanism to convert elements from the graphics metafile
buffer back into a lat/lon environment and then output a shapefile.

There may be some other software tools out there to create shapefiles
based on user-defined coordinates, but it might not be such a
difficult stand-alone program to write yourself. Start by looking at
the examples in the shapefile library's source code.

--Jennifer

On Oct 25, 2010, at 11:04 AM, Stephen McMillan wrote:

> I think it's a great addition to have both the draw- and create-
> shapefiles capabilities in GrADS now, and have successfully done
> both from the latest release.
>
> As I understand the online documentation, shapefiles can be created
> using only the "display" command, and that "the shape types
> currently supported are points and lines...."  with lines being
> contour lines.  Are there any plans to support shapefile creation
> using the "draw" command, such as for creating straight line
> segments or polygons, as it does for drawing shapefiles?
>
> Perhaps the developers or another user knows of a way to write
> shapefiles derived from drawn (not displayed) map features.  The
> only way I can think of is to somehow incorporate the desired line/
> polygon features within a gridded file, perhaps similar to the way
> "lat" and "lon" are done, except crossing lat/lon lines.
>
> I am using the OpenGrADS version 2.0.a9.oga.1 on a Windows XP.
>
> Thanks
> Stephen McMillan
> The information contained in this e-mail message
> is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
> named above and may contain information that is
> privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.
> If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
> review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
> received this communication in error, please notify
> the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705