[gradsusr] Creating "Lines" Shapefiles

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Mon Oct 25 11:04:04 EDT 2010

I think it's a great addition to have both the draw- and create-shapefiles
capabilities in GrADS now, and have successfully done both from the latest
release.

As I understand the online documentation, shapefiles can be created using
only the "display" command, and that "the shape types currently supported
are points and lines...."  with lines being contour lines.  Are there any
plans to support shapefile creation using the "draw" command, such as for
creating straight line segments or polygons, as it does for drawing
shapefiles?

Perhaps the developers or another user knows of a way to write shapefiles
derived from drawn (not displayed) map features.  The only way I can think
of is to somehow incorporate the desired line/polygon features within a
gridded file, perhaps similar to the way "lat" and "lon" are done, except
crossing lat/lon lines.

I am using the OpenGrADS version 2.0.a9.oga.1 on a Windows XP.

Thanks
Stephen McMillan

The information contained in this e-mail message
is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
named above and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, copy or distribute this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.