[gradsusr] Tropical cyclone scripts and grads fuctions

Charles Seman Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 12 17:12:15 EDT 2010

Travis,

Please find attached a script "plot_hurricane_center3.gs" which finds
and plots locations of a user-defined "hurricane center" variable as a
function of time level: finds the "world" coordinates of the "hurricane
center" point, converts them to "xy" coordinates for plotting, and
writes the "xy" coordinates out to an ASCII text file for later read-in
for plotting the track... The script is interactive in that at each time
level it prompts the user to define a box within which to search for the
minimum pressure (for example, surface pressure), using mouse clicks:
upper-left and lower-right corners; this was added to be able to exclude
low surface pressures of topographical features when the hurricane is
near land.  The script could be modified to search for the maximum
surface vorticity, or whatever the user decides to use.  Please let me
know if you have any questions about the script.

References and sources:

1) locally modified versions derived from Joe Covert's script
"plot_tc_shi.gs" (Joe.Covert at noaa.gov), which was posted to the GrADS
Listserv on 9/13/2004 (his script was named plot_tc_shi.gs);  on
4/27/06, found via a Google search for "plot_tc_shi.gs":
http://caos.iisc.ernet.in/gslib/plot_tc_shi.gs

2) code in "hurricane_tracking.txt" (attached; taken from an email
exchange posted to the GrADS Listserv by Kun-Hsuan Chou and Arturo
Caracas Uribe in Oct, 2004)

I hope this helps,
Chuck

Please note that Charles.Seman at noaa.gov should be considered my NOAA
email address, not cjs at gfdl.noaa.gov.

 Charles Seman                                Charles.Seman at noaa.gov
 U.S. Department of Commerce / NOAA / OAR
 Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory         voice: (609) 452-6547
 201 Forrestal Road                              fax: (609) 987-5063
 Princeton, NJ  08540-6649            http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/~cjs/

"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
official or unofficial position of the United States Federal Government,
the United States Department of Commerce, or NOAA."