[gradsusr] Color Bar

Jeffrey Duda jdduda at iastate.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:05:43 EST 2010

Adam,
All you need to do is to manually create your color table using 'set clevs _
_ _ _' and 'set ccols _ _ _ _ _ ...' to set up your color table before you
plot TMPsfc.  If you're using the same color bar script that I use to plot
the color bar, it should know which colors are in your color table and plot
the color bar based on that.  It sounds to me like you are getting different
color bars because when you plot TMPsfc for the different seasons, Grads
automatically applies the rainbow of colors to the range of values you are
plotting, which change based on season.  See
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/colorcontrol.html for more information.

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Adam Cinderich <cinderic at msu.edu> wrote:

> Hello:
>

> I am plotting seasonal and monthly means for TMPsfc from NARR.  I have a
> script that automatically plots all 4 seasons using a control file that
> manages all 20 years worth of my data from 1981-2000.
>

> When I plot each season, my script contains a line to plot a cbar from a
> local library but when you look at each plot, it contains color bars with
> varying scales (ex. 270 is between yellow and orange for Winter but 270
> isn’t even on my Summer plot).
>

> Does anybody have a code or know how to create a standard color bar where
> the same colors correspond to the same values throughout all of my figures?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Adam

Jeff Duda
Iowa State University