[gradsusr] Command produces a PNG image with transparent color 0 and a background image NE.png

Jeff Chabot jsc219 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 20:48:56 EDT 2010

Hello GrADS Users,

I am trying to get a background image behind my precip/ptype products in
GrADS and I am having absolutely no luck.

GrADS versions that I have tried:

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a9
Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.a7

Error that I receive:

PRINTIM error: background image open error

printim example that I am using:

printim precip_NE_1.png png x570 y435 -b NE.png -t 0

I am using the full path for the output image and background image, I just
removed it from the above command.

This is the png image that I would like to use (or it will look something
like this):

http://jeffsweatherservice.com/images/NE.png

The above image would be a background to an image like:

http://jeffsweatherservice.com/grads/nam/precip_NE_2.png

Does anyone know how to make this work?  Or does anyone have another way
that I could get a green/brown basemap with blue water to replace the plan
white background?  I have the basemap stencil working on temperature
products, but that will not work well for precip/ptype products.

Any help/insight here would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeff Chabot
jsc219 at gamil.com