[gradsusr] time interval too short

James T. Potemra jimp at hawaii.edu
Tue May 18 14:22:23 EDT 2010

I have a netCDF data set that I can read off local disk using the new
release of GrADS (2.0.a8), but I get an error when trying to read the
same data set via OPeNDAP.  The error is:

gadsdf: Tme unit has too small an increment (min. 1 minute).

The actual increment is 4 minutes, and ncdump shows time as:

time:units = "minutes since 2008-01-01 00:00:00";

The previous versions of GrADS (2.0.a6 and a7) had a different problem
reading the same data set via OPeNDAP:

gaopnc error: nc_open failed to open file
http://oos.soest.hawaii.edu/thredds/dodsC/hioos/nss/ns01agg
read_metadata: gaopnc failed.

So, it seems va8 solved the metadata problem but might have a new one.
Note that both versions can read the data set without problem off local
disk, it's only when accessing via OPeNDAP.

Finally, grads-2.0.a7.oga.2 can also read off local disk, but has yet a
different error reading via OPeNDAP:
 Unknown error 1002
SDF Error: nc_get_vara_double failed to read coordinate axis value
gadsdf: Error reading second time values in SDF file.

All versions are running on a linux EL5 machine (x86_64) machine.

Jim