[gradsusr] cdiff

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu May 6 09:57:04 EDT 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Jeffrey Duda wrote:

> Muhammad,
> Unfortunately, you simply can't define a variable using cdiff in the
> z-direction in Grads.
That's because GrADS constructs the defined object by looping over Z
(and T and E if they are varying dims too). It's almost like a built-
in zloop function -- you end up with a result that varies in Z, but
the expression is evaluated at a fixed Z as it loops over all the
specified Z levels.

> You can display a variable, but you'd have to write out the entire
> formula for that variable in the display command.
That's correct. You can also write it out to a file, using gxout fwrite.
--Jennifer

> Jeff Duda
>
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM, Muhammad Afzaal <afzaalkarori at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I am using "cdiff" function along z-dimension to fine dvar/dz e.g
>
> -> 'set z 1 17'
> -> 'define dvar = cdiff(var,z)
>
> but I have following error
> Error from CDIFF:  Specified dimension non varying
> Operation Error:  Error from cdiff function
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> can anybody figure out the problem?
> Thanks
>
> --