[gradsusr] ctl file

luis blacutt luis.blacutt at gmail.com
Wed May 5 11:38:51 EDT 2010

Dear Grads users,

I'm using 144 netcdf files from TRMM dataset. I'm trying to write a ctl file
but I'm not succeding, my ctl looks like this

DSET ^3B43.%y2%m201.6.nc
UNDEF 9999.9
OPTIONS template
DTYPE netcdf
XDEF 1440 linear -179.875000 0.250000
YDEF 400 linear -49.875000 0.250000
TDEF 144 linear jan1998 1mo
ZDEF 1 linear 1 1
vars 1
pcp 0 99 Precipitation
endvars

The name's files are

3B43.980101.6.nc
3B43.980201.6.nc
3B43.990101.6.nc
3B43.990201.6.nc
3B43.000101.6.nc

and so on

the ncdump for  is,

netcdf 3B43.090401.6A {
dimensions:
        time = UNLIMITED ; // (1 currently)
        longitude = 1440 ;
        latitude = 400 ;
variables:
        double time(time) ;
                time:units = "hours since 2009-4-1 0" ;
        double longitude(longitude) ;
                longitude:units = "degrees_east" ;
                longitude:long_name = "Longitude" ;
        double latitude(latitude) ;
                latitude:units = "degrees_north" ;
                latitude:long_name = "Latitude" ;
        float pcp(time, latitude, longitude) ;
                pcp:comments = "Unknown1 variable comment" ;
                pcp:long_name = "precipitation:Precipitation" ;
                pcp:units = "" ;
                pcp:grid_name = "grid-1" ;
                pcp:grid_type = "linear" ;
                pcp:level_description = "Earth surface" ;
                pcp:time_statistic = "instantaneous" ;
                pcp:missing_value = -9999.9f ;
}

Whenever I try to display the variable I get:

Cannot contour grid - all undefined values

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Luis