[gradsusr] gribmap modification

Gomez Breogan Breogan.Gomez at dwd.de
Mon Mar 29 08:20:36 EDT 2010

Dear GrADS users and developers:

My name is Breogan  Gomez and I am working for the German Weather
Service (DWD) in the data assimilation department. DWD's COSMO model
(also used by other National Weather Services) has a peculiar time unit
specification in their Grib output files. That are TimeUnit=13 and
TimeUnit=14 to represent 15min output and 30min output. This is not WMO
standard but is generally used by the German Weather Service and all the
Centers within the COSMO community (http://www.cosmo-model.org/).

GrADS is perfectly able to read COSMO model output (using "gribmap")
when the TU is speciffied in any WMO standard unit, but when TU-13 or
TU-14 are used he is not able to find the correct time records in the
grib file.

I recently I have performed a minor modification to "gribmap" code (at
"gagmap.c") to include the support for this TU-13 and TU-14. This
modification is fully compatible with other TU and  does not introduce
any limitation in the application. I was was wondering if could be
possible to introduce this modification in the standard GrADS release.
This would help to expand GrADS use to a bigger set of scientists that
are working with this high frecuency COSMO simulations.

Attached I include the modified gagmap.c source file (version: 2.0.a7.1
has been used for this purpose). Just search for "DWD", only four lines
had been added to the original file.

I hope you find this useful,

All the best,

Breogan Gomez

Ps: Similar improvements have been performed on "wgrib" and
"grib2ctl.pl" applications and had been sent to Wesley Ebisuzaki, we are
waiting for reply.