[gradsusr] Help in showing the example of using maxloc()

Kristen Briggs kbriggs at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 18 11:49:54 EDT 2010

If you have a pressure variable, you might be able to use the maskout function in combination with a nested max (not maxloc) statement as suggested in Jeffrey Duda's email, for example:
"define maxwind=max(max(max(wind,lev=700,lev=1000),lon=0,lon=180),lat=0,lat=90)"   <this should give you a single value>
"set gxout stat"
"d maskout(pressure,wind-maxwind)"
In theory this would make all wind values negative except the maximum value and thus all pressure values would be masked out except for the one associated with the maximum wind value.  The gxout stat output might then give you that associated pressure value?
Kristen Briggs