[gradsusr] OpenGrADS Bundle 2.0.a8 Released!

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:38:08 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Earnshaw, Paul <
paul.earnshaw at metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

>  Arlindo,
>
> frpe at eld188:> uname -a
> Linux eld188 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:34:33 EDT 2009 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
> frpe at eld188:> gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-11)
> frpe at eld188:> ldd --version
> ldd (GNU libc) 2.3.4
>
> I have since run the executable on a different machine and I get a more
> obvious error message associated with the information you wanted:
>
> /net/home/h01/gmdd/grads2/Contents/Linux/Versions/2.0.a8.oga.1/i686/grads:
> error while loading shared libraries: requires glibc 2.5 or later dynamic
> linker

That is exactly it. You will get the same error if you try COLA's i686 build
which was also uses glibc 2.5. Up to now I had been building the i686
version of the OpenGrADS Bundle on a machine with glibc 2.3.4 as yours.
However, I hit a problem with 2.0.a8 version of gribmap using this version
of glibc. In the end I had to build it on a newer machine with glibc 2.5.

For the record: for binary portability, more important than the particular
version of gcc is the version of glibc. In this particular case, I rebuilt
grads with gcc 4.1.2 and glibc 2.3.4 and I could not get gribmap to work. On
Linux, you can find the glibc version with "ldd --version". In the future
perhaps we should have the glibc version as part of the binary tarball
filename (at least on Linux).

> I take it this means with the current version of glibc I will not be able
> to run 2.0.a8.oga.1?

Almost.  I have a build of grads 2.0.a8 on i686 using glibc 2.3.4; it passes
all of my tests (including extensions but not the large grib feature) except
for gribmap. If can make it it available to you offline, but I'd rather not
post it on sf.net because it is not 100% functional. If you do not need the
new large file feature of gribmap you could mix & match and use the
2.0.a7.oga.3 version of gribmap and everything else from 2.0.a8. If
interested,  write to me at dasilva at opengrads.org and I'll make this build
available to you.

   Arlindo

--