Question about MERRA

Arlindo da Silva arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 28 00:11:10 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Thiago Veloso <thi_veloso at yahoo.com.br>wrote:

>   Accordingly to this website (
> http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/DataHoldings.pl), there is no
> precipitation dataset on the listings.

MERRA's emphasis is on the hydrological cycle, therefore precipitation is a
key parameter. If you have the opengrads bundle start

% merra

then click on the [Monthly]/[Surface Fluxes] and select any of the
precipitation variables.

>   However, I'd recommend you to look for precipitation data on GPCP, TRMM
> or CMORPH programs.

Precipitation from reanalyses are model derived parameters. Although MERRA
precipitation has been evaluated against GPCP and other datasets, this is
not a direct measurement. It is most useful in the context of the other
climate parameters provided by MERRA.

   Arlindo

>   Best regards,
>
>   Thiago.