WIN GRADS 2.0.a7.oga.3 - Possible Bug

Ryo Furue furue at HAWAII.EDU
Mon Jan 25 22:21:36 EST 2010

Hi Mark,

| On another subject....Multi threading.  When I run Grads 1.9 on a
| dual core machine, it appears to split the work between the two
| cores with each core getting about 50-54% of the load.  On a single
| core machine it takes 100% of available CPU.   So it splits the
| load, but does not make 100% use of both CPUs.

Since I'm not sure how Windows gather statistics like that,
this is a pure guess, but I guess GrADS is frequently switched
between the two cores; that is, it is run sometimes on
one core and sometimes on the other.  (GrADS is not
multi-threaded, I think.)  So, if you take an average,
you will see each 50% of each core is used.

Linux kernel doesn't migrate a process from one core
to another that often, so that you actually see that
one process uses 100% of one core at one moment and
the same process uses 100% of another core at another
moment.

Regards,
Ryo