WIN GRADS 2.0.a7.oga.3 - Possible Bug

Mark Sponsler msponsler at COMCAST.NET
Mon Jan 25 15:37:41 EST 2010

Hi Arlindo,

Interesting.....

If I start Grads then type in:

! ls  <cr>

Grads just hangs. No answer set is returned.  I presume a directory list should appear. But instead nothing....

On another subject....Multi threading.  When I run Grads 1.9 on a dual core machine, it appears to split the work between the two cores with each core getting about 50-54% of the load.  On a single core machine it takes 100% of available CPU.   So it splits the load, but does not make 100% use of both CPUs.

Thanks,
Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arlindo da Silva" <arlindo.dasilva at GMAIL.COM>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:06:24 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: WIN GRADS 2.0.a7.oga.3 - Possible Bug

Mark,

  Does the "!" work at all? For example, does

ga-> ! ls

return anything?

   Arlindo

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Mark Sponsler < msponsler at comcast.net > wrote:

Hello,
I'm using Grads 2.0.a7.oga.3 on an Win XP box.  All works fine except when
used in conjuction with ImageMagick.

I run my script, then make 2 calls to ImageMagick to combine some of the
output images, then try to do a few simple GRADs cleanup tasks  (increment a
counter, then an endhwhile statement).

The issue is GRADS hangs after the ImageMagick commands and does not
return to run the remainder of the script.

Funny thing is when I run the exact same script under GRADS version 1.9, all
works fine.

Suspect there is some little bugaboo in the compile that prevents the return
call to GRADS after executing the extrenal program.

Here the segment of the code that fails:

     'draw string 10.55 7.45 Precip'
     'draw string 10.55 7.25 (in)'
   endif

*******************************
'printim c:/grib/dods_output/'reg'_'tx'hr.png png -b
c:/grib/dods_output/test.png -t 0 x700 y541 black'

********************************
'!composite.exe -quality 100
c:/grib/output/foreground_ETA_precip_wind/back/'reg'_trans.png
c:/grib/output/'reg'_'tx'hr.png c:/grib/dods_output/test1.png'
'!convert.exe c:/grib/dods_output/test1.png -depth 8 +dither -colors 256
c:/grib/dods_output/'reg'_'tx'hr.png'

tx = (tx+1)
 if tx = 30 ; break ; endif

'clear'