GrADS multi-threading support

Brian Doty doty at COLA.IGES.ORG
Fri Jan 22 17:40:43 EST 2010

There has been discussion of this and a lot of interest from some of
the scientists here at COLA.  It is not clear when, or if, it will get
done.  I am guessing that if it happens, the HDF5 data format will be
the target data format for any multi-threading in the I/O subsystem.
I used to write multi-threaded code for IBM operating systems, so I
have an idea of how much work is involved.  There may be some "low
hanging fruit" that would be fairly easy to implement.  I'm also
guessing that if we (or anyone) does it, the resulting version will be
pretty unstable for a long time... Brian