Resolving incompatible grid issues between 2 files

Joe Pietrowicz pietrowicz at ZEDXINC.COM
Thu Jan 21 16:58:39 EST 2010

Jason,

You need to set the lat and lon extends to cover the same area, like lon set 120 to 180 and lat set to -30 to 30 on both data sets. If the grid resolution is the same on both grids, then you are in luck. Otherwise you need to use a UDF like 'regrid2' or if you are using the latest version of 'opengrads' it is built in with the 're' command. You will need to do some research on how to use it.

Best of luck,

Joe Pietrowicz,Ph.D.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Snyder" <jmssnyder at UCDAVIS.EDU>
To: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:44:32 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Resolving incompatible grid issues between 2 files

I am trying to graph 2 variables from different netcdf files together in a calculation (i.e. sulfure * zonal wind) however when I open both netcdf files and try multiplying variables from both data sets I get the following message:

Operation error: Incompatible grids
Dimension ranges aren't equivalent
Dimension equals 0
1st grid range = -119 25 2nd 1 1080
Error occurred at column 13
DiISPLAY error: Invalid expression
Expression = uln.2*sulfur

The first data set sulfur has the following dimensions lon -180 180, lat -90 90, while the second data set has the following dimensions lon 120 255, lat -5 90. How can I resolve this problem so that I can graph both these files together and perform computations using both files?

Thanks,

Jason