Time Settings for Data

Colarco, Peter R. (GSFC-6133) peter.r.colarco at NASA.GOV
Thu Jan 21 14:16:02 EST 2010

Jason-

You can achieve the desired result by writing a control file (sometimes called a data descriptor file) to redefine the times on one set of files to match the times on the other set.

For example, the contents of the data descriptor file might look like

DSET filename_template.%y4%m2%d2.nc4
OPTIONS template
TDEF time 8 linear 0z1jan2009 3hr

where in my example filename_template.%y4%m2%d2.nc4 is the path and filename template describing the dataset you wish to modify and I assume you are dealing a total of 8 times spaced 3 hours apart in time.  You'd need to edit that DSET line to look like the particular filenames you're working with, obviously.  See the documentation for data descriptor files: http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html and look especially at the link for "Using Templates".

Then you can xdfopen the data descriptor file to work with that data set and open the other file set as before.

Pete